Featured post

A QUICK GLANCE AT THE MERCHANT OF VENICE

IMPORTANT QUESTIONS What did Salerino say commenting on the parting of Bassanio and Antonio? What did Bassanio say later commenting on ...

Wednesday 8 March 2017

WRITE ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE OF SPENDING A FEW DAYS WITH A FOREIGN STUDENT AS PART OF A STUDENT EXCHANGE PROGRAMME.


Every day is more unique than the day that has already gone by, leaving a taste of goodness to be savoured. The other day when I went to school as usual, I did not have an inkling of the surprise that was in store for me.  We saw a good number of foreigners of the same age as ours greeting all the students when they were entering the school compound. To begin with, we could not understand why they were there. The whole thing became clear to us when at the time of the assembly the vice principal told us that as part of a student exchange programme a good number of students had come to our school from some countries of Europe. He informed us in a cheerful mood that they would spend some days with us and imbibe our ideas of culture and day to day life while they would try to give us ideas of their lifestyle and culture. He added that we were free to invite the students to spend a day or two at our houses with the permission of our parents. The idea appealed to me and I decided to seek the permission of my parents to accommodate a student at my house for a few days.
I went back home and told my mother about the unique idea of accommodating a student from a foreign country at our house. My mother listened to me and asked me if I would feel comfortable in the company of a student from an altogether different culture. She also pointed it out to me that my grandmother who is an old fashioned woman might it difficult to adjust herself to such a foreign soul. I   brushed it aside saying that she was too liberal to give priority to such a thing. She then nodded her approval and told me that she would go to the school the next day with me to have a talk with the principal about inviting a student to our house for a few days. I was elated at this proposal of the mother and could not sleep that night due to a feeling of excitement.

At the end of the school I returned with James who was a native of Hampshire, England. He was very happy to come to our house. The son of a surgeon, he was very smart and made us feel as if he belonged to us. He ate our food and admired our cuisine. I introduced him to some of my friends and relatives and they were all happy to meet him. I drove him round the city and gave him an idea of our culture and lifestyle. He also told us about the way they led their lives. Our hearts became heavy when we had to say goodbye to him. At the time of his departure he gave me a gift and invited me to their house in England.  My mother became so attached to him that tears welled up in her eyes when he left. His association with us left a deep impression on my mind and made me conscious of the wealth of relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive